Living In A State


State and territory authorities give some preference for applicants ‘living’ in that state.  That term ‘living’ or ‘live in’ or ‘reside in’ are not technical legal terms.  They should NOT be related to permanent residence.

A person could move to a state and be ‘living’ there within one or two weeks of arrival, possibly even the day of the arrival. What is required is having a place to call home which can be a flat recently leased in the name of the applicant, with added accoutrements of utility bills in the name of the applicant, driver’s licence in the name of the applicant at that address etc.

Barbara Davidson